5 Facts You Should Know About Pinot Noir
5 FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT PINOT NOIR
As the world’s most popular light-bodied red wine, pinot noir is loved for its red fruit, floral, and spice-laced aromas that are accentuated by a long, smooth finish. Here are a few other things you should know!
1. Pinot Noir is a very old varietal and is the basis of a wider family of grapes known as Noiriens. As such, it is the father of a multitude of other varietals, including Chardonnay, Aligote, and Gamay.
2. Only a few generations separate it from the wild vines present in the forests, even before Roman times. The first written record of the varietal, under the name of Pinot Noir or Plant Fin dates back to 1375.
3. Pinot Noir is a capricious varietal that is difficult in growing and is highly susceptible to vine diseases. It requires a northerly climate to thrive and express its full complexity.
4. Because of how complex it is, Pinot Noir is one of the few red grapes that can be made into red, rosé, white, and sparkling wine!
5. Flavors you can find in new world Pinot Noir:
- Darjeeling Tea